Sunday, June 20, 2010

Healthy Nut Blueberry Muffin

There was a box of blueberries sitting in my refrigerator for more than 1 1/2 weeks, it was about time I made good use of it before it shrivelled up.

So this weekend I decided to whip up a healthy treat. My family is generally health conscious, opting for less sugar and less fattening desserts. So I looked up the internet quickly for a healthy blueberry muffin recipe from allrecipes.com. The link is here, though I made variations to the recipe.

I baked it in time for tea on this lazy Sunday afternoon and it was so easy to make! no mixing involved, amazingly, no butter is used and only 1 egg serves to bind everything together.

I had in mind huge muffin tops for mini muffins (so cute!) so i intentionally filled up the trays right up to the brim instead of the usual 2/3 to the top. It rose very high but very few overflowed to create the mushroom-like head which was the picture in my mind. One or two looked pretty close to it though!


Taste wise, it was pretty doughy and chewy, probably due to the lack of butter, oil, eggs, but otherwise, quite tasty. Sugar content is high too, I'd like to try honey one day as a healthier alternative to sugar.

What I love most is the bursting blueberries when you bite into them, and fresh out of the oven, it is moist and warm... mmm. Helps that it is bite size too, so one muffin really is never enough!
Try it out, if you are looking for a healthy alternative to the usual butter-rich muffins.




Recipe (my variation):

185g self raising flour
170g sugar
40g instant oats
235ml buttermilk
1 egg
15 ml vegetable oil
5ml vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 banana, mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 punnet blueberries

Instructions:
1. Mix flour, sugar, oats, baking powder, baking soda in a bowl.Gently stir in the blueberries and walnuts.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla.
3. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry, and mix just until blended. Spoon into muffin cups, filling all the way to the top.
4. Bake at 175 C for about 10 minutes (for mini muffins), or until toothpick comes out clean.
5. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment